Our Old Fashioned Meatloaf Recipe uses traditional ingredients of beef and bread crumbs with a ketchup and brown sugar topping to make a delicious meal. Our step-by-step instructions make it easy for the most inexperienced cook to prepare a great dish.
1 pound lean ground beef
½ Cup chopped onion
1/3 Cup Milk
¼ Cup Bread Crumbs
1 egg, beaten
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar (for topping)
¾ Cup Ketchup(for topping)
- Set your oven to 350o to start preheating it for baking.
- Get a medium to large mixing bowl and put the ground beef in the bowl.
- Using a large knife, slice one small onion or about half of a large onion. After slicing the onion, chop the rings into small pieces about ¼ to ½ inches long. When the onion is chopped, measure ½ cup and put it in the bowl with the meat.
- Measure out 1/3 Cup Milk, ¼ Cup Bread Crumbs and 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce and put them in the bowl with the meat.
- Break an egg into a small bowl, beat it with a wire whisk (or a fork) until the yolk and the white are blended together. Pour the egg into the bowl with the meat.
- Now the fun part – use your hands to blend all the ingredients together to form a loaf. It should stick together well, and it will look like a small loaf of bread. If it is not sticking together, add a little more bread crumbs, but go sparingly, as too many bread crumbs will make it too dry. Place the loaf into a loaf pan (these pans are sometimes used for making bread).
- Combine 3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar and ¾ Cup Ketchup in a small bowl. Blend them together with a wire whisk (or a fork) until it is a smooth mixture and you can no longer see the Brown Sugar. Spread this mixture over the loaf you formed above.
- Place in oven and bake at 350o for 45 minutes.
- When it is cooked, remove from the oven and let it set for about 5 minutes, then drain any excess juice from the pan before removing the meatloaf.
- Place it on a platter and serve with side dishes mentioned above. Leftover Meatloaf served cold makes great sandwiches.
- This Old Fashioned Meatloaf Recipe makes 4 Servings.