Our Meatloaf Recipe with Oatmeal replaces the traditional bread crumbs with uncooked oats, giving the final product a firmer body and a great taste. This is a great alternative if you normally have oats in the house for breakfast, and you do not want to buy a whole bag of bread crumbs to get a small amount to use in your meatloaf.
1 ½ pounds lean ground beef
½ cup raw quick-cook oats
½ cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 cans prepared tomato sauce (8-ounce cans)
- Set your oven to 350o to start preheating it for baking.
- Get a medium to large mixing bowl and put the ground beef in the bowl.
- Using a large knife, slice one small onion or about half of a large onion. After slicing the onion, chop the rings into small pieces about ¼ to ½ inches long. When the onion is chopped, measure ½ cup and put it in the bowl with the meat.
- Measure out ½ cup raw quick-cook oats, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Put them in the bowl with the meat. You may use slightly more or less salt and pepper, depending on how well you like them.
- Break 2 eggs into a small bowl, beat them with a wire whisk (or a fork) until the yolks and the whites are blended together. Pour the egg mixture into the bowl with the meat.
- Open one of the cans of tomato sauce and add about half of it to the bowl with the meat.
- Now the fun part – use your hands to blend all the ingredients together to form a loaf. It should stick together well, and it will look like a small loaf of bread. If it is not sticking together, add a few more raw oats, but go sparingly, as too many oats will make it too dry. Place the loaf into a loaf pan (these pans are sometimes used for making bread).
- Place in oven and bake at 350o for 1 hour.
- After one hour, remove the meatloaf from the oven and drain the excess liquid from the pan.
- Spread the remaining 1 ½ cans of tomato sauce on top of the meatloaf and return it to the oven.
- Bake for about 30 minutes longer, until the loaf is nicely glazed.
- Remove pan from oven, let set for about 5 minutes and remove the meatloaf from the pan.
- Place it on a platter and serve with side dishes mentioned in the Home Page.
- Leftover Meatloaf served cold makes great sandwiches.
- This Easy Meatloaf Recipe with Oatmeal makes 6 Servings.